What Is It?
A 30-day period during which you declutter one area of your home each day.
After a busy summer with family and friends here in Massachusetts, the kids are going back to school and there’s enough time to tackle some big jobs.
Halloween is only a little more than a month away, which means that Thanksgiving and the winter holidays are right around the corner. This is a great time to give your home a deep clean before the hustle and bustle of the holiday season begins.
It’s also the perfect time to start decluttering! Which is why we thought this would be the perfect opportunity to introduce our first 30-Days to Less Junk Challenge! The goal is to pack up one bag of junk per day, but you can do more or less.
The Junk Removers Challenge officially goes from September 1st to October 1st, but you can start and end whenever you like. Please visit our Facebook page and/or sign up for our newsletter; we’ll be sending out tips during the month.
Also, we’d love to hear about and see your progress, so please leave comments and post pictures on our Facebook page. It’s always easier to do this kind of challenge when you can quantify your progress and get tips from others.
Thanks to Ann Marie of White House Black Shutters for the inspiration for our challenge!
5 Tips for Decluttering and Freeing Yourself from Junk
- Don’t Do It All At Once – Many professionals say one of the best ways to get rid of junk is to not do it all at once. It can make it completely overwhelming. If you slowly get your summertime decluttering underway now, you’ll be done in no time and you’ll hardly notice the extra work. This is one of the reasons we’re doing The Junk Removers 30 Days to Less Junk Challenge.
- Yes or No. No Maybes – Sometimes getting rid of stuff can be a difficult thing to do from an emotional perspective, which is why it’s easier to leave no in between. You either get rid of it or you don’t. Have you used it or worn it in the last 6 months? If the answer is no, toss it!
- Selling Or Donating Your Stuff – We all have great intentions when it comes to selling or donating our stuff, either online or at a yard sale. However, the reality is, this can be time consuming. It can also make it too easy to not get rid of that stuff!
- Get Your Whole Family Involved – Decluttering can be a great activity for the whole family. Get each of your children and your spouse to commit to getting rid of a few things each day. Maybe make it a game with some kind of reward at the end. It can help teach your children good habits and increase the sense of appreciation for your family home.
- Hire A Professional Junk Removal Company – If you find that you have a lot of junk that you need to get rid of, a professional junk removal company can help take the pain out of the whole process. Not only is it a simple and stress-free service for you, but together with a company like The Junk Removers, you can help to preserve our planet. Over 60% of the items and junk we remove are recycled or donated. We will also keep you informed of our waste measuring and reporting process.